Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Homemaking Joy

I am loving my days as a SAHM... I've recently caught on a new wave of craze in baking and experimenting new recipes... :P

Yesterday, I baked a loaf of wholemeal bread and some chicken pies... *sigh of contentment* Today, I've made kaya jam (coconut milk jam)... something I've been wanting to make for over a year... *smile*...

It's such great joy to be a homemaker... *joyful bliss*The chicken pie didn't turn out quite pretty... but the filling tasted great... even Timothy agrees hehehe... he gobble up the filling of the pie (from the leftover) very quickly, for dinner last evening... the recipe was taken from here... try it out it's fun to bake chicken pies... Just gotten my breadmaker back from a friend whom I've loaned it to recently... and immediately, I've baked a loaf of bread and make some kaya with it... ;) it's the greatest invention ever... a machine that can do so much!!! BRAVO to the inventor!!!
I found this kaya recipe quite a long time ago (psst even way before Joyce was conceived muahaha)... been wanting to make kaya but didn't get around to do it... FINALLY!!! I've made it!!!With the breadmaker, it was just a piece of cake to make kaya... wahahaha... the lazy man's style you see... just dump everything into the machine and voila... you have your very own homemade kaya...After the cycle is completed in the breadmaker... I just do a little blending to smoothen the paste using a blender... There you have it... homemade kaya... cheap, easy, and no preservatives!!! ;) Yaay... we are having kaya toast with soft boiled eggs for breakfast tomorrow!!! *grin*

8 comments:

Leng Leng said...

Hi Pauline,

Does your bread crust turn out thin and soft? I have tried several recipes with my breadmaker, and they all turn out thick and hard. Pls let me know if there is any secret to thin and soft crust.

The kaya looks nice. I will try it with my machine.

MomsyWorld said...

Hi Pauline,u convienced me to get a breadmaker after i shift! Oh...btw, may I order my kaya toast from u...been craving for it daily! keke...

mamabliss said...

Hi Leng Leng, yes dear, i had the same problem too... that the crust is too crispy (ie hard) not sure if it's bec of the temperature... what we can do is to let the machine roll the dough and then we shape the bread ourselves and bake it in the oven instead of the breadmaker... I'm going to try doing that the next time and see if that helps...

mamabliss said...

Hey Fannie... yes dear... you should really get a breadmaker... it's just a good tool to have at home if you enjoy baking and making jams... ;)

Let me know when, I'll deliver some home made kaya toast over *grin*

J@n!ce said...

Viola.... another successful exploration. My hubs love kaya with butter toast... yum yum :)

Sounded Sinful ah... !!

Arty Aunty said...

hi,

chanced upon yr blog. I hv the same breadmaker as you. and would like to try the kaya recipe. May I know how long could the kaya be kept?

Arty Aunty said...

hi,

chanced upon yr blog. I hv the same breadmaker as you. and would like to try the kaya recipe. May I know how long could the kaya be kept?

mamabliss said...

hello arty aunty... after the kaya was made, I refrigerate it... and it lasted me over a week... however, every time you take the kaya out of the fridge, you'd need to leave it outside for at least 5mins as the kaya tends to harden up every time you put it into the fridge...hope that helps...have fun making kaya!!! :)