Friday, December 07, 2007

Ready, Get Set, Homeschool!!!

Coming January 2008, our homeschool journey will begin... am getting excited about the thought of homeschooling my own child together with other children... forming a small play & learn group of 4-6 kids, age 2-3yrs old... both Jenny and myself have prepared for this since mid last year.

Just two months ago, Jenny introduced me to the Winter Promise and I thought this was a fabulous program... in which it involves a lot of hands-on for the kids to work on... best way to learn as the children could learn through all their senses along the way. In addition, Winter Promise combines Charlotte Mason's methods of education which both Jenny and I like very much. Here are the core elements of Charlotte Mason Education if you are keen to find out.

We will modify the Winter Promise's program on I'm Ready To Learn a little to fit within our 3 days in a week's schedule; combining some Montessori materials within the school time.

On the side, I'll still be reading more books to Tim. Within the Winter Promise program there's the Journeys of Imagination which I plan to read to Tim according to the planned reading program... 
While some time ago, I've purchased the BFIAR program... that'll come into play as well... since the BFIAR program could last Tim till 4 yrs old... 

Ok not sure if I'm being over-ambitious or over-estimating my energy level... was thinking of weaving BFIAR activities into pockets of free time when I'm running out of ideas to keep Tim occupied... we'll play-by-ear as we go along...

At this stage (ie. kids of 2-3yrs), we'll just be focused on reading + doing activities revolving around the literature we've read and will not drill too deep into academics... hoping to lead the kids into the love of learning gently...  :)
These are some (more) books I've purchased recently, all geared up to read to Tim as we go along... they are the children's classics... and I love them all very much, myself... hehehe

Even though Tim is still very young to give me the full attention, I'm just very glad that he's able to pull out books and want to read them... many times, when I said, "Tim lets read a book"... he'll just go to the bookshelf and pull some books out for me to read to him... *beaming mama* while seated in the car seat during our journey from place to place... he could keep himself occupied with a book for at least 5-10mins... my efforts have paid off (I hope)...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! Sounds like you are all ready to start your homes schooling journey. How do you cope with 2 children, home schooling and work at the same time? I am amazed.

Mama Bliss said...

hey michelle... yes... am all ready to charge!!! hehehe... i'll be a CDO (chief domestic officer) come January 12th... so I'll be able to look after the 2 kids + homeschool tim am so looking forward to it... ;)

Amy said...

Hi Mama Bliss,

I'm keen in the Winter Promise Program. Did you order direct from their website? How much do they charge for shipping cost? Pls email me @ johnamy02@yahoo.com

Thanks!

mamabliss said...

Hi Amy, I've responded via email ;)