Friday, October 19, 2007

The Day I Was Dead To The World...

I meant to write the birth story of Joyce sometime ago... however, didn't do it...simply because... everything happened in a frenzy that I don't know where to begin... but one thing I remember most vividly was, I was completely "dead" to the world for a period of time (the length of time they took to bring Joyce out of me)...

It all happened on 2nd August 2007, afternoon, approximately 1pm, Dr Lui (my gynae), called to check on how I was getting on... when I told him that I experienced a strong contraction the night before, he ordered me to go to the hospital immediately...hubby was extremely surprised that I'm going to deliver that day when I called to inform him...

Later that afternoon, I took a taxi to Mt Alvernia Hospital, and had a quick chat and routine check at Dr Lui's clinic, soon after, I was wheeled to the ward, awaiting the surgery to be performed on me.

Everything just went on very smoothly but swiftly... the last thing I remember before I was 'dead' was the nurse placed an oxygen mask on my face and the anesthesian was telling me that she's going to introduce the GA(general anesthesia) intravenously...in less than 3 seconds, my eyelids were extremely heavy and everything just blacked out instantly...

The next thing that happened, (when I have recovered from being "dead"), was when I heard both the doctors calling my name... informing me that everything is done... my baby is healthy and the 'plane' has landed well and safe... hmmm... my mind was a complete 'BLANK'... all I know was the wound was causing me extreme pain and discomfort... and I was drowsy being words could describe... I remembered uttering many thank yous to both the Doctors though...

Afterwhich I was in another 24hrs of blur... as I was given pain killers intravenously causing me to be dopey the entire day... I didn't see my baby till a day later that was when I felt more awake and have regained a little energy...

Unlike during Tim's time, where I was on epidural while the operation was performed on me, that was actually rather scary... for I could hear everything that's going on in the op theatre... and the side effects of epidural made me shiver so hard that I could puke... *yikes*

Anyhow, I'm glad that I was back alive after experiencing how it was like to be 'dead'...

2 comments:

blurblur said...

Like you, I was on epidural when i gave birth to my no 2, Darius, and i find that it was quite a scary experience. With Damien, i was on GA, i only remember counting until 3 and everything after that is a blur.

Your Joyce is beautiful, and yes i love her eyes as well! :)

Mama Bliss said...

ya epidural was a very scary experience...was a mistake of mine to request for epidural because the Dr was planning to give me a GA... what's more, my hubby wasn't with me throughout the entire process as the nurses kept him outside :P