Thursday, August 16, 2007

20 Minutes...

How long does it take for a toddler to calm down from his temper tantrums? 20 MINUTES!!! *faint*

Tim was in a huge fit of temper tantrum last night when he refused to sleep after his last feed of milk of the day. He was busy-ing around hubby and pulling out all his toys from the toy box and show no signs of exhaustion. While I'm completely flat out after a 'hard day's work' running between Tim and Joyce.

Tim ran into the master bedroom and pulled my hand (from right hand to left hand); while I remain unmoved... he started to fuss and refused to go out of the room... hubby came to my rescue by carrying the tot out...that's when it all started... gosh...

He was crying inconsolably. Refusing to take a 'No' for an answer. I was in a dilemma if I should just give in, in order to stop him from crying... however, I didn't want Tim to think that by crying and throwing tantrums he could always get his way. That will feed his bad behaviour, so I hardened my heart and just stay put in the bedroom, allowing hubby to do the consoling instead.

WOW... Tim has got a huge temper... it's quite scary...he just cried and cried and cried... to a point where he was dead beat from all the crying that he fell asleep.

Hubby and I had a discussion about Tim's behaviour, while we both were unsure if what we did was right, we agreed that we should be consistent in our approach (ie. husband and wife both agree to the same method of dealing with the child). We agree that while we have to be firm on one hand, we should never fail to show love. It's hard work being parents. As I've always said, being a parent is both pain and pleasure at the same time.

I think it's really high time I whip out the Super Nanny and Dr Harvey Karp books and videos to revise...

3 comments:

fannie said...

i can comprehend. Ethyl is so used to crying just to get what she wanted, that we would just ignore her and let her cry till she is satisfied with the nonsense. It really isn't easy, but I'd rather she learn it that way. U did a good job, Pauline :)

MommytoMeia said...

Meia's like that too. sometimes we juz have to ignore n wait for her to cool down. Its really painful to watch them n especially if u're a softie, makes it even harder. But the more u fuss around them the more noise they'll make, so I've learnt to ignore Meia when she throws her tantrums n explain things when she has quieten down, whether she understands or not is another thing.

Mama Bliss said...

Hey Fannie / May, thanks so much for your encouragement and affirmation to what both Steven and I have decided to do... it's really not easy being parents especially when I'm not being 'trained' as one before... hehehe