Monday, May 28, 2007

What's in a Name?

Oh I've been tagged by AprilPinky, Momoko & MamaSeah this time... ;) thanks for tagging me dearies...

So, what's in the names of my son and (soon to be born) daughter?.... yeah, I must say a name has a lot of significance and therefore both hubby and I have put in some serious consideration and thought in deciding what to name our children...

I still remember, I was so excited over selecting a name when I was expecting Timothy... it was during the very early stage of my pregnancy that we've decided to name our son Timothy when we first discovered I was expecting a boy...

Being Christians, we want our child's name to be biblical...and that wasn't that difficult for boys' name given that the bible is filled with loads of boys/men's name... hehehe... but to choose one with great significance to us and to the child was no easy task...

There I was scouring the internet with all the biblical names but none that I fancy much... most of the names carried a meaning that weren't very appealing to me... and when I chance upon Timothy... I fell in love with this name immediately... firstly, it carries a good meaning...secondly, I thought the name sounds cute on a boy too... ;)

Well the English name wasn't as difficult as the Chinese one we felt... given that the source of search was more readily available and to find the meaning of the names was just a few clicks away on the 'puter... we left the sacred task of choosing a chinese name to my dad...who gave us a list to pick from...the initial list of names didn't quite sound right... and t'was one afternoon where dad was about to doze off into lala land for a nap... the inspiration came...teehehehe...

Timothy - Honour God and honoured by God... we want our son to honour and love God, to grow up to be a man of good use to God and His kingdom... to be a good instrument of God's to bless His people...

瑞扬 - 瑞 goodness; 扬 spread... so we wanted our son to spread all the goodness around ie. being a blessing to everyone whom he comes in contact with... quite close to the meaning of his English name...

As for our soon to be born daughter, Joyce... it seemed much easier decision... We've decided upon the chinese name first this time... 瑞恩... and it was not difficult to decide to use the English name Grace/Gracia since the chinese character 恩 already suggests Grace... but hubby thought otherwise...we shouldn't just jump into a convenient decision...*roll eyes*....

Once again, off we went on a hunt for baby's name on the net... we felt deeply that Timothy was born out of our deep love for each other (Steven and I)... therefore we've always seen Timothy as a bundle of love to us... and it was after having so much joy in watching Timothy grow... that we decided to have a second child...therefore, Joyce was decided upon as the name for our daughter because of the joy we have experienced in having children... and we would like to see Joyce as a bundle of joy God has blessed us with...


Joyce - Joyous; our child is a joy to us and that wherever she may go, she'll bring joy to all whom she comes in contact with...


瑞恩 - Goodness; Grateful/Grace; we are grateful to the goodness and grace God has given us... ;)

3 comments:

Jan said...

oh i see you have choose 瑞 for both your kids.....my kids too (thou we have choosen a different stroke rui for Rayner. RayAnne's rui is the same rui you choosen for your kids.

Mama Bliss said...

hi Jan, yeah! i love the word 瑞 too... ;)

jean said...

Nice names!! Initially, I thought your bb girl is going to have the same name as my grace ..teeheee.....