Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Prep Work of a Wife and Mother...

Someone shared with me sometime ago - "2 main things in life we don't get to learn in any schools/academy - marriage relationship and parenting"...I find a lot of truth in this friend's sharing...

Call me kia-su or kia-si if you must, after being a wife and a parent, I realised I'm actually quite lost at these two new roles... well none of us are given a manual on how to keep the fire burning in a marriage relationship neither are we given any lessons on how to be a parent prior being thrown into the situation..hehehe... I suppose training is only given when we are on-the-job??

I remember, how gan cheong I was when I was still expecting, both Steven and myself enrolled into the "Parenting With Confidence - children of age 0-5yrs" workshop and we were the only pair who's still expecting... hahaha I can't believe the disbelief in the eyes of our facilitator and our fellow classmates...

In addition, I've armed myself with loads of parenting books and have been busy surfing the net for anything and everything that's parenting related. Joined parenting support groups and have been communicating with other parents about parenting, participate in parenting workshops...oh and of course, blog hopping...

Before Tim was even 3mths old, I'm already considering about his education... homeschooling, mainstream schooling?? Am I becoming obsessed with the desire of being a good mother?

And just what have I done to try to be a good wife? Well, I read books on relationships too... also, I keep my husband in my prayers daily and at times I'd throw him a few pleasant surprises (bought him durian recently, which I totally resent all this time)... we chat about anything and everything, being open about all issues that's going on in our life outside of home, seeking his opinion on every big decisions I make... offer him encouragement when he is met with a challenging situation, pray with him and pak-tor once in a while (now with Tim, such couple time is badly discounted)... resolving our differences and arguments within the day (well, most of the time he gives in to me *blush*)...still working on the being demure and gentle part though (that takes a lot more hard work)... hehehe

I suppose it's an endless life-long learning process and I can never be as prepared as I want to be... would just have to take a step at a time and pace out a little as I go along...

No comments: