Friday, May 12, 2006

Homeschool Mum Wannabe

Every parent have their own idea of how their children should be educated…some believe in leaving this very important and noble task only to the professionally trained, while others harbour a keen interest in taking their children’s education into their own hands… and such are the parents who believe in Homeschool…

I’ve been introduced to Homeschooling some 2 months back and ever since, I’ve embarked on a research quest on Homeschooling… scoured the national library just to land my hand to the one and only book on Homeschooling they have… surf the net and talk to Jenny (a church friend who’s homeschooling her 2 children right now) on everything about homeschool… think I’m into a frantic state to want to find out so much about homeschool… strange how enthusiastic I could get just to gather all these info now when my son is only 4mths old now… *grin*

I’ve finally realized I AM but another ‘kiasu’ parent…never thought I’d become one, I guess it came with the desire to want the best for my child… what parent wouldn’t want their kids to have the best and be the best right…

In the past I’ve always thought homeschool was for the rich kids with the privilege of having a personal tutor to take care of all their education needs, that they never have to step into mainstream schools because their parents disapprove of their mixing with the neighbourhood children… which I labeled that as a snobbish lifestyle… nothing could be further from the truth… well in my little research quest, I came to learn that homeschool was, in the past, designed for children with special needs which the mainstream school couldn’t cater to…and over time, it has evolved into a practice that many parents in the western countries partake due to the vast benefits of homeschooling…

I’m keen to ride on this band wagon, while it may still be a very radical practice here in Singapore (right now), I’m all geared up for this very exciting road of teaching/learning with my son. I’m also witnessing a rising trend in homeschooling here in Singapore… for I’ve seen magazine articles covering this alternative method of education, I’m also anticipating the TV program that’s coming up where homeschooling will be discussed (Jenny will be appearing on this program because of her current homeschooling experience – how exciting!).

I’ve also taken interest in the weblogs of 2 Singaporean mothers who are homeschooling their children and sharing their lesson plans and loads of homeschooling information over the blog… it’s simply inspiring! Check it out to see for yourselves…

Well… whatever the future has in store for me as a homeschool mum wannabe, I’ll just have to patiently wait till Timothy is 2.5yrs old to realize that dream… meantime, I’ve got loads of prep work to do… ;)

1 comment:

Henry Cate said...

I've written an introduction to homeschooling and collected some resources:

http://whyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2006/02/introduction-to-homeschooling.html

I hope you find it useful.

Good luck. I think homeschooling is very powerful. You might be interested in this post:

http://lionesshomeschool.blogspot.com/2006/05/golden-quote.html

which talks about how tutoring one-on-one is so much better that a public school setting. And homeschooling really is tutoring.