Saturday, February 11, 2006

I Not Stupid Too

Nice weekend to spend some precious moments with Steven alone... where we could re-live our 'pak-tor' days, just the two of us (without baby timothy)... a huge thank you to my sis-in-law who offered to babysit timothy for us...what will we do without such loving help...

We took time to catch a movie (something we haven't done for almost a year) and decided upon "I Not Stupid Too" after much good reviews from friends and the media...

The movie began with a few thought provoking questions - eg. When was the last time you've praised someone or received praises from others?....

These questions brought to mind how my parents (or rather the older generation) warned us (my husband and myself) that it's taboo to sing praises of our kids in front of them... (huh?)...

After watching the movie, I reflected on what's been practiced and said by the older generation of parents and have noticed that many of the parenting methods used during our parents' days are now obsolete.

The movie was a good source of reminder for parents and new parents like myself... positive parenting is very important...coincidentally, prior to watching the movie I've started reading the book "Happy Children through Positive Parenting", which emphasized that children perform best when they feel good about themselves.

I'd strongly recommend this book for a read... it's really as The Times said it, 'wise, kind and simple advice'... most importantly, parents (and grandparents) got to put those advice into practice.

No comments: