Saturday, December 03, 2005

BRAXTON HICKS

A new found friend? An old chum? nah far from it...

Braxton Hicks are sporadic uterine contractions that actually start at about 6 weeks, although one won't be able to feel them that early during the pregnancy. One probably won't start to notice them until sometime after midpregnancy... The name Braxton Hicks contraction was name from an English doctor, John Braxton Hicks, who first described it in 1872...


For the past 4-5 days I've been given an order of bedrest and nothing else... cos I've signs of false contraction and these are symptoms of premature labour... I'm only into my 32nd week of pregnancy (8 more weeks to full-term) and this piece of news came along... Picture the shock on my face, the panic in my heart... and the worry on my mind... it's indescribable... even Steven couldn't contain his fear...


For a first-time mother, this is really no joking matter... I was really in a state of confusion when the nurse told me that I had to be admitted because my contraction was once in every 4 mins according to the CTG reading and it's getting more intense... but when my gynae came along, reassured me that all I needed was bedrest... so who's right? I can only pray that God will see me through this ordeal...

Rested for a couple of days, the contractions just kept coming back and last night was more acute than I could bear... the increased pelvic pressure (a feeling that the baby's pushing down) was so prevalent that I thought I was already in labour... but the pain and all subsided in 40mins... so it was another round of false contractions... this is really the time to pray and submit it all to God... I can only hope and pray that I could hold my baby for another 2-3weeks at least (according to my gynae, many researchers' advice and experienced mothers), because premature babies have higher chance of survival if they are delivered between the 34th and 37th week...as their internal organs are more fully developed...


So for now, I can only pray, rest, wait and hope that all would be fine...

2 comments:

Vimal said...

Hey Pauline,
Looks like you have finally taken off from work . Leave it to the ways of Mother Nature to deliver the baby safe and beautiful... good luck and God bless

Meifen said...

dun worry mamabliss. Am sure God will see little tim and you through the rest of the delivery. Rest well and dun tink so much ya