Friday, November 18, 2005

Overcome Evil With Good...


Romans 12
Love
9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.

17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. 18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay,"[d]says the Lord. 20On the contrary: "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."[e] 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

This was a rather challenging week for me, in which I've been tested with tremendous patience towards a not-so-kind client. What has been said and done over a meeting has caused quite a dent to my self-worth and integrity. I began to question if I really haven't done enough to offer value to her business... I brood over it the entire night and I just find it hard to let it go... I wonder what have I done to cause such mockery and nasty remarks from my client... I have no answers...I gather that in life we'll meet nice people and some not so nice people along the way...

A dear friend happened to send me an email sharing with me the challenges that's facing her at work...and what she shared came in timely as it revealed to me some truth (I guess, God must have answered my questions through her sharing). She said, regardless of situation and people, our focus must be on loving God's people (Christian/Non-Christians alike), because God loves us for who we are. Just as Jesus has been persecuted because of our sinful nature, we too will be persecuted. That shouldn't stop us from loving, because that's what we've been commanded to do.

Strange as it seems, God's timing always is impeccable, my devotion the other day, brought light to me that we will all suffer from the effects of sin... it could be sin of our own or sin of other people...here's what I've learnt:
"Sin is an 'equal opportunity employer', creating pain even for innocent bystanders"
Sin has corrupted our workplace because :
1) We reject God's rule over our work
2) We focus on self
3) We attempt to satisfy our needs apart from God

And all these brought to mind of what Paul said in Romans 12 (bible verse as quoted in the above)... God has spoken to me, and once again granted me peace and a direction... what will happen between my client and me...while I practice what God's taught me, I can only surrender the rest of the situation to our Almighty, Sovereign, Lord.

No comments: