Thursday, November 10, 2005

My Devotion...

Gold can be a helpful servant but a cruel master...

My devotion several days ago was from Exodus 20:3 where God told the Israelites "You shall have no other gods before Me".... read - http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb-11-10-05.shtml



I was once again reminded of the importance of placing God before anything else...In Exodus, the Israelites once out of Egypt (out of slavery) have forgotten about the goodness of God and their true calling; they have started placing possessions and material gains way above God...it's said in the devotion that "we are free to utilize" but "forbidden to idolize."

With this word from God, I truly want to be a good steward of God's blessings especially where money is concern... because it's so easy to fall into the trap of our old patterns (like they say, old habits die hard)... but by feeding on God's words and maintaining consciously aware of the temptations surrounding us will make it easier to walk away from sin...

From being heavily in debt to being completely debt free wasn't easy, because many times I fall prey to my own desire to spend, spend, spend...mindlessly signing my life away...it was through my desperate times where I cried out to God to just cancel my debt overnight (through a sudden struck of luck) because I can't handle the monthly repayments to the banks anymore...I asked the Lord to let me start afresh... where I promised to be more cautious and careful with my money...

I suppose God knows me better... He didn't allow me to just walk away from my sin in a snap of the fingers (because like the Israelites, I'll forget the goodness of God and fall back into my old ways)... He wanted me to go through the hard way...paying back all the debts I've rolled up (God didn't say we could just walk away without paying - there's no running away from it) during which He was with me every step of my way, granting me the sufficient grace and strength to see myself out of the darkness and desperation...I survived many times of retrenchment exercise and bad economic situations... I was even given more opportunities of pay rise in order to clear my debt faster... all Praise and Glory goes to our Lord...what He really wanted was for me to see where He is coming from about my need to learn from my mistakes...

The last part of the devotion has most appropriately put what God has on mind about our handling of His money...


Are we using our material blessings to serve the Lord? Or have we become slaves to them? —Haddon Robinson

No comments: