Wednesday, October 12, 2005

$pend $pend $pend

I guess we are all guilty of spending too much and accumulating too much one way or another... I recently read an article which I've been reminded of my spending habits... now and then...

Here's an excerpt of it -

The Art of Accumulation

"We have been nurtured in a society that seduces with the promise of affluence and measures worth on the basis of possessions and positions...There is nothing inherently wrong with professional success, financial security, or personal prosperity. But at some point, a follower of Jesus Christ crosses the line into enemy territory..."


It's been almost 3yrs now since I've tried to clear every dollar I've spent on the accumulation of possessions... and I'm so looking forward to October 27th 2005, cos that's the day I'll be completely debt free!!! (no longer a slave to any banks/credit co)*yaay* good news isn't it? Not quite... as I noticed I've more $$$ in my pocket, the itch of wanting to $pend comes back... and it's scary... my husband said, the target of accumulating has been shifted from myself to our soon to be born son... and it's true...

Just the other day, after coming back from yet another shopping spree, I realized I've already accumulated 3 BIG bags of new clothes and 3 BIG bags of knick knacks for Timothy (my baby), I even had problems looking for storage space to store them... the power of accumulation! I won't doubt I've already spent more than $1,000 on the things I've bought for Timothy (clothes, shoes and other knick knacks)... yet I won't be due till January '06... gosh! At this rate, I cannot imagine what other things I'll accumulate, after Timothy is born.








Here're just some samples of my accumulation....

I thank God for this reminder through one of my morning devotions. The power of the dark forces is so real...and I've slipped again this time due to my own weak will in self-control. I've promised both God and my husband over several occasions that I would stop that spending, yet I've failed to say 'No' to temptation... but the painful experience of dragging a load of debt hasn't stop haunting me... as such, since my last shopping spree, I've resisted and prayed with all my might from falling into the same trap that I am about to get out of... while I know, I have the means to spend now (not rolling up debts anymore), I've also been reminded to be prudent because what I have now doesn't belong to me... I heard God speaking to me through the article, "if you can't be entrusted with little, how then can you be entrusted with more?"... sigh

I'm still taking baby steps to recover from the withdrawal syndrome of wanting to $pend... but I know I have improved a lot more than before (my husband has said the same too). At least, I don't get credit card statements that reminded me of my sins anymore...I no longer feel frustrated over trying to make ends meet every month, and no longer fear if I should lose my job tomorrow. I was able to save more $ now and was open to more options on my retirement plans. The joy and excitement of being completely debt free brings immense freedom, I could finally breathe a breath of fresh air now..erm...well soon...

Here's the challenge for us all, 'Need over Want'... how's your $pending habit?

No comments: